About the UC Eco Office Programme
Following on from a UC Summer Sustainability Scholarship project in 2008/09 (PDF 85KB), the UC Sustainability Office has developed an Eco-Office Programme to help all office users on campus make their work places more sustainable. This programme involves a network of people interested in sustainable office practice, sustainability assessment forms and a certification process so that your office can formally get on the sustainability journey.
What You Can Do:
- Read the UC Eco Office Guide (PDF 1.7MB), which was created in 2010 by UC office users, and updated in 2014. This guide provides lots of tips and ideas for greening your office. Many of these are relevant to the Eco Office Certification process.
- Read How to Grow an Eco Office Culture (2012).This short guide provides some practical tips and ideas on how to positively influence the social world of work so that the people around you choose to change voluntarily in their own time.
- Join the UC Eco Office Network. If you are interested in joining our Eco-Office Network, please email the Sustainability Office.
- Get UC Eco Office Certified (see below).
If becoming Eco-Office certified is feeling a little ambitious, there's still lots of things you can tackle to 'green' your office bit by bit.
How Do We Get Our Office 'Eco-Office Certified'?
- Nominate an 'Eco Office' champion or small working group to champion the certification process..
- Read the brief introduction to the Eco Office Certification process here: (PDF, 1.2MG)
- It is very important your whole department or group are aware of, and participate in the assessment and certification process. Tell them about it at an all-of-staff departmental or group meeting, and invite them to contribute to both of those processes.
- Complete the Eco Office Sustainability Assessment. Download it here (PDF 793KB), fill it out and send it back via internal mail to the Sustainability Office. This provides important baseline information for the Sustainability Office to identify any key issues or barriers to the Eco Office programme.
- Get your co-workers to apply to the Eco Office programme with you, using this form, and send it to the Sustainability Office: (PDF, 362KB).
- Complete each stage of certification. Note that some of these actions apply to, and require a whole-of-group response. Other actions apply to specific functions of a department. There are four stages of the unfurling fern frond (below). Start by clicking on Stage One and see what's required. Please include notes as to why any of the items are not relevant to your office, or any barriers to acheiving individual actions. These issues will be acknowledge by, or negotiated with the Sustainability Office. It is recommended that your office aims to complete each stage in full before attempting the next stage.
- Send each form as it is completed to the Sustainability Office for auditing.
- Your office will be awarded an Eco Office Certificate!
|Stage One Assessment Form||Stage Two Assessment Form||Stage Three Assessment Form||Stage Four Assessment Form|
For further information about Eco Office contact the Sustainability Office.